The Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT) is one of Australia’s premier long-distance walking tracks for seasoned and self-sufficient walkers seeking remote experiences; and also offers a range of shorter-walk opportunities for less experienced and less-skilled walkers to appreciate the beauty of the Australian Alps.
This document clarifies the purpose of the Australian Alps Walking Track and provides details of how it is to be managed for a range of visitor experiences. This document is in two parts – The Strategic Plan and the Operational Plan.
The Strategic Plan:
- supports jurisdictions co-operatively in managing and promoting the route of the AAWT as a continuous entity with a range of walking opportunities;
- identifies opportunities and initiatives to further improve the track and its promotion.
- It also outlines the long-term directions for the management and promotion of the AAWT and seeks:
- consistent presentation of the AAWT across tenures and management jurisdictions,
- promotion consistent with the park management objectives,
- management consistent with the expectations of both long-distance walkers, and in popular sections with the expectations of those with less skills or experience,
- marketing to domestic and international experience seekers, and
- partnerships to optimise use and management of the AAWT.
The Operational Plan specifies medium-term on-ground actions for maintenance and presentation of the AAWT. It is an important document for ensuring consistency of presentation of the track and for communication and information sharing. It specifies standards and operational arrangements for:
- administration and oversight
- managers’ responsibilities
- the approved route for the AAWT
- track standards
- signage and marking
- accommodation and camping
- application of a Minimal Impact Code
- Permits and conditions
- Promotion and community education
- information and publications
- stakeholders and volunteers
- Aboriginal community consultation
Within the Operational Plan is an Action Plan, which highlights significant actions on the AAWT which will be formulated biennially and endorsed by the AAWT Management Group.